Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Electroencephalography


The electrical activity of the brain can be described in spatial scales from the currents within a single dendritic spine to the relatively gross potentials that the EEG records from the scalp, much the same way that the economics can be studied from the level of a single individual's personal finances to the macro-economics of nations. Neurons, or nerve cells, are electrically active cells which are primarily responsible for carrying out the brain's functions. Neurons create action potentials, which are discrete electrical signals that travel down axons and cause the release of chemical neurotransmitters at the synapse, which is an area of near contact between two neurons. This neurotransmitter then fits into a receptor in the dendrite or body of the neuron that is on the other side of the synapse, the post-synaptic neuron. The neurotransmitter, when combined with the receptor, typically causes an electrical current within dendrite or body of the post-synaptic neuron. Thousands of post-synaptic currents from a single neuron's dendrites and body then sum up to cause the neuron to generate an action potential (or not). This neuron then synapses on other neurons, and so on.

EEG reflects correlated synaptic activity caused by post-synaptic potentials of cortical neurons. The ionic currents involved in the generation of fast action potentials may not contribute greatly to the averaged field potentials representing the EEG. More specifically, the scalp electrical potentials that produce EEG are generally thought to be caused by the extracellular ionic currents caused by dendritic electrical activity, whereas the fields producing magnetoencephalographic signals are associated with intracellular ionic currents.

The electric potentials generated by single neurons are far too small to be picked by EEG or MEG. EEG activity therefore always reflects the summation of the synchronous activity of thousands or millions of neurons that have similar spatial orientation, radial to the scalp. Currents that are tangential to the scalp are not picked up by the EEG. The EEG therefore benefits from the parallel, radial arrangement of apical dendrites in the cortex. Because voltage fields fall off with the fourth power of the radius, activity from deep sources is more difficult to detect than currents near the skull.

Scalp EEG activity shows oscillations at a variety of frequencies. Several of these oscillations have characteristic frequency ranges, spatial distributions and are associated with different states of brain functioning (e.g., waking and the various sleep stages). These oscillations represent synchronized activity over a network of neurons. The neuronal networks underlying some of these oscillations are understood (e.g., the thalamocortical resonance underlying sleep spindles), while many others are not (e.g., the system that generates the posterior basic rhythm).

23 comments:

Tim said...

Okay, I admit I just stole this from wiki. But I will only surrender to Deavey the midget! Come out come out wherever you are Deavey...

Anonymous said...

Lol dude, you rock! I love Tim

Tim said...

I sure do. Asl?

Anonymous said...

Oh my, quick responder! F21Antwerp. Think you might fancy me? Wonna meet?

Tim said...

Sure. Could you come to the champaign cantus from AIESEC tomorrow? 8.00pm at Aalmoezenier, Antwerp. Be there and buy the shirt.

Anonymous said...

I'll be there. You will recognize me cause I'm bald.

Tim said...

Okay, cool. I am totally without prejudices, even towards bald chicks. You into weard stuff?

Tim said...

No, I was just testing you. You're okay. I think I love you.

Anonymous said...

Okay, now I was testing you. I am totally into weird stuff.

Deavey said...

No it wasn't me..

Anonymous said...

Hell boy, who do you take me fore? I'm not Deavey. What's your problem?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tim said...

Whoow, I'm afraid I can't tolerate this kind of language on my blog. Your post will be deleted.

Anonymous said...

Whatever, you're still a d*ck. I can't believe I wanted to **** you.

Tim said...

****?

Tim said...

Kwek kwek. Haha

Anonymous said...

Oh my god, are you some kind of retard or something? Jeez.

Tim said...

Nooh, sorry! Okay, I admit, I don't really like bald chicks.

Anonymous said...

My mother has had cancer you know, she lost all her hair because of the chemo. Are you saying my mom is grose?

Tim said...

No, I meant that chicks that are voluntarily bald are probably too crazy for me to handle. I have nothing against your mom. Sorry.

Simon said...

27th comment!

Fake Simon Dpt. Belgium Police said...

Don't do it guys! He's not a real Simon! I spotted that immediately!

Raf said...

hi girl Anonymous. Tim is just one of the two contributors to this blog. Yes, he can be creepy sometimes. I myself am completely different, i know several mothers who had cancer and have seen several girls who were bald. I can also make it to antwerp so if u like, then maybe we should meet. I'd love to hear about your life story while I admire your naked body